Voter Registration

Legal Notice - To the Voters of the City of Nashua

               The Registrar of Voters will be in session daily, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and on Monday, August 28, 2017, from 8:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Office of the City Clerk, City Hall, 229 Main Street, for additions and corrections to the checklist. This will be the last day that the City Clerk will accept voter registration applications or make corrections to the checklist prior to the filing period beginning on Tuesday, August 29, 2017.  Any candidate wishing to file for office, shall make sure that their voter registration is current or they will not be allowed to file for office.  (RSA 669:5).
                 The Municipal General Election will be held on Tuesday, November 7, 2017, and the polls will be opened from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.  The period to file petitions and acceptance of nomination papers will begin Tuesday, August 29, 2017, at 8:00 a.m. at the Office of the City Clerk and will close on Friday, September 8, 2017, at 5:00 p.m.  The drawing for positions on the ballot for this Election will occur on Wednesday, September 13, 2017, at 3 p.m. in the Aldermanic Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall.
                 The Board of Registrars will meet on Tuesday, August 29, 2017, at 10:00 a.m. in the Office of the City Clerk for accepting all new and corrections to the checklist from November 2016 to present and to conduct such other business as may come before it. 

Municipal General Election - November 7, 2017

The last day to register to vote before the Municipal General Election will be Saturday, October 28, 2017.  If you are a new voter to Nashua, if you moved from another municipality within the State or moved within Nashua, if you changed your name or wish to change your party affiliation, please come down to our office to register or re-register before the deadline. 

The City Clerk's Office is opened Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.- 5 p.m., excluding holidays.  

Registering to Vote - In Person

  • In New Hampshire, there are no restrictions on the rights of U.S. citizens, who will be at least 18 years of age on the date of the next election, to register to vote.
  • In Nashua, residents may register at the City Clerk's Office, 229 Main Street, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.  
  • The voter registration process will take less time if you bring a photo ID and at least one item to prove that you reside in Nashua. Examples of proof of identification would include a driver's license or passport, and examples of proof of residency would include a driver's license with your Nashua residence printed on the front, vehicle registration, current postmarked mail, a lease, utility bill, or a payroll stub with your residence. If born outside of the United States, you will be asked to prove your US citizenship. If you do not have evidence of age, identity, residency and/or citizenship, you will be required to sign a Domicile Affidavit and/or Qualified Voter Affidavit, whichever is/are applicable. Call the City Clerk's Office for guidance if you have any questions about the type of documentation you will need (603-589-3010).
  • Should you not be able to come into our office, you can register to vote on election day at the polls. Registering on election day and then voting will require you to wait in two lines: one to register and one to vote. You will save time by registering earlier.

Registering to Vote - Absentee

In New Hampshire, only residents who are temporarily absent from the City (such as college students or overseas citizens) and residents who are physically disabled and unable to come to the Office of the City Clerk or the polling place to register, may do so by mail. Please contact the City Clerk at (603-589-3010) for information and forms.

Name, Address & Party Changes

  • Party changes can only be made “by appearing in person” at the Office of the City Clerk (RSA 654:34). In addition, there are periods of time when state law does not permit a change of party (generally from the first date of a filing period until the day after the primary election). Please call the City Clerk if you have any questions. 
  • Address changes from one Nashua residence to another Nashua address must be made in person at the Office of the City Clerk. We will require proof of your new address in the form of a lease, utility bill, current postmarked mail or payroll stub. If you do not have any documentation, then you will be able to complete a Domicile Affidavit.
  • Name changes (due to marriage, for example) must be made in person at the Office of the City Clerk. You will need to bring proof of the name change (for example: certified marriage certificate or certified court order) or you can complete a Qualified Voter Affidavit.

Voter Information Look-up - Office of the Secretary of State

If you are not sure if you are registered to vote, want to check what party you are affiliated with or where you should go to vote, please visit the State of New Hampshire Voter Information Look-up Tool, on the Secretary of State's Website.