A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | Y | Z

C Street - C Street was designated mill housing for the Maine Manufacturing Company, which was once located in the area.

Cabernet Court - Cabernet Court, like Burgundy Street, was given its name because it was located in the wine district. Cabernet Sauvignon is often regarded as the "king" of red wine grapes. It is the primary grape of the great wines of the Bordeaux region and has been cultivated world wide. It is known for its high level of tannins, dense ruby color and medium to full body.

Cabot Drive - Cabot Drive was named after John Cabot, a famous explorer in the “new world” (Newfoundland). By all accounts, Cabot was not English; he was born Giovanni Caboto, probably in Genoa, Italy around 1450. He later moved to Venice and became a naturalized citizen there around 1476, working as a mariner and trader in the eastern Mediterranean. Sometime in the 1490s he ended up in England, where he was given permission from King Henry VII to seek a northern route to Asia across the Atlantic. In 1497 Cabot sailed from Bristol in the Matthew to what is now western Canada. Precisely where he landed is a matter of some controversy, and the possibilities include Newfoundland, Cape Breton Island, Labrador and Nova Scotia. He made a second voyage in 1498, but never returned. Cabot's son, Sebastian, was a famous explorer and cartographer in his own right, and may have accompanied his father on the 1497 voyage.

Cadogan Way - Cadogan Way was named for Cadogan Business Company that once existed in Nashua.

Caitlyn Circle - Caitlyn was a relative of the developer who built the street.

Calais Street - Calais Street was named after the Pas-de-Calais area in France. The Pas-de-Calais became famous during World War II when Hitler thought that the Allies would land their forces in the area. This street is also located near Verdun Street, which was named for an area in France where a famous World War I battle was fought.

Calawa Street - Leon Calawa was a representative of New Hampshire and this street was named in her honor.

Caldwell Road- Caldwell Vineyard supplied Martha’s Vineyard with some of its best wine.

Calico Circle - Calico was the name for one of the businesses on the street that made this type of cloth. It is a plain weave cotton fabric in one or more colors. Calico, named for Calicut, India, where the fabric originated, was mentioned by historians before the Christian era and praised by early travelers for its fine texture and beautiful colors. Block-printed cottons from Calicut imported into England c.1630 were called calicuts. The name calico was soon applied to all Indian cottons having an equal number of warp and weft threads, then to all plain weave cottons.

California Drive - California is a state in the western United States on the Pacific Ocean. It was admitted as the 31st state in 1850. The area was colonized by the Spanish and formally ceded to the United States by the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo (1848). California is often called the Golden State because of its sunny climate and the discovery of gold during its pioneering days. Sacramento is the capital and Los Angeles the largest city.

Cambridge St/Road - Cambridge Massachusetts, which is one of the neighboring towns of Nashua, was the name given to Cambridge Street. It is a city of eastern Massachusetts on the Charles River opposite Boston. Settled in 1630 as New Towne, it is known for its research and educational facilities, including Harvard University (founded in 1636), the Radcliffe Institute for Higher Learning (formerly Radcliffe College, founded 1879), and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1861).

Cameron Drive - Cameron was a friend of the developer who named the street.

Camp Sergeant Road - Camp Sergeant is a YMCA camp located in Nashua, which inspired the developer to name this street in its honor.

Campanello Street - This street was named for the first black person to break the color barrier in the minor league baseball. It occurred in Nashua the same year that Jackie Robinson did it in the major league.

Canal Street - The National Guard Armory was once located on Canal Street. Its name comes from the canal that ran parallel to it.

Candia Street - Candia is a town located in Rockingham County, New Hampshire. As of the 2000 census, the town had a total population of 3,911.

Candlewood Park- Candlewood was the name for a lake in New Hampshire that was a popular tourist destination.

Candy Lane - Candy Lane was named for the businesses in the area that sold chocolates. Candy is defined as any of a number of various confections--soft and hard-- composed mainly of sugar with the addition of flavoring ingredients and fillings such as chocolate, nuts, peanut butter, nougat, fruits and so on.

Cannon Drive - The developer chose the name for Cannon Drive because of its sound. A cannon is any large tubular firearm designed to fire a heavy projectile over a considerable distance. The term can apply to a modern day rifled machine gun with a calibre of 20 mm or more. Cannon also refers to a large, smooth-bored, muzzle-loading gun used before the advent of breech-loading, rifled guns firing explosive shells. "Cannon" derives from the Latin canna (a tube). Bombard was early used for "cannon", but from the early 15th century came to refer only to the largest weapons. "Cannon" can serve both as the singular and plural of the noun.

Cannongate Road - Cannongate Road was named after a condominium located on the street, Cannongate.

Cape Avenue/Street - These are both named for a variety of house, the cape house, commonly built near water.

Capitol Street - Capitol Street, which is near state street, was named for the capitol of New Hampshire, Concord. The state legislature meets in the capitol to discuss certain issues.

Cardiff Road - Cardiff Management Company provided the inspiration for Cardiff Road.

Cardinal Circle/Drive/Lane - Cardinal Circle is part of a district of Nashua with a religious background. In the Christian faith, a cardinal is

Carlene Drive - Carlene Drive was in a development area named after the developer’s sister.

Carlisle Road/Drive - Carlisle is a town located in Middlesex County, Massachusetts. As of the 2000 census, the town had a total population of 4,717. Carlisle was first settled in 1650 and was officially incorporated in 1780.

Carmine Road - Carmine was a tailor shop that once existed on this street.

Carolina Drive - A friend named Carolina, who the developer knew, influenced the decision to name this street.

Caron Avenue - Caron Avenue was named after a relative of the developer, whose last name was Santerre.

Carriage Lane - The classic definition of a carriage is a four-wheeled horse-drawn private passenger vehicle with leaf springs (elliptical springs in the 19th century) or leather strapping for suspension, whether light, smart and fast or large and comfortable. Before cars were invented, the carriage provided transportation for residents of Nashua.

Caroll Street - Caroll Street was named for a nearby town that failed because of a poor economy.

Carson Circle - The capital of Nevada, Carson City, was the inspiration for the name Carson Circle. Carson is a city located in Los Angeles County, California, United States. As of the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 89,730. The city's economy is based primarily on manufacturing. About half of Carson's land area is occupied by factories, petroleum refineries, and other industrial buildings and structures.

Carter Circle - Carter Circle was named after the Carter Rice Company that was located in Nashua. Edith and Eliot Carter contributed about $1,100,000 to the building of the Nashua library.

Carver Street - Jonathan Carver was an American explorer. He served in the French and Indian War and in 1766 was hired by Robert Rogers to undertake a journey to some of the Western tribes. He journeyed to the Mississippi and up that river to a point several days' journey above the present site of Minneapolis. In the spring of 1767 he returned to Prairie du Chien, in what is now Wisconsin, where by Rogers's orders he joined the expedition to search out the “Western Ocean.” When their journey northwestward was prevented by war between the Sioux and Chippewa, they ascended the Chippewa River and crossed to Lake Superior, the coast of which they followed to Grand Portage. Carver went to London in 1769 with the intention of publishing a narrative of his travels and of pressing claims for compensation for his services, for Rogers, having exceeded his authority in employing Carver, could not pay him. After nine years of struggle and poverty, Carver published the first edition of his Travels through the Interior Parts of North America in the Years 1766, 1767, and 1768 (1778). The popularity of this book, the first English account of the upper Great Lakes and Mississippi region, is attested by the 32 editions, or more, through which it passed.

Cassandra Lane - Cassandra Lane was named for a relative of the developer.

Castlegate Way - The developer chose the name for this street based on its sound. The inspiration for it came from castles, which were large fortified buildings or group of buildings with thick walls, usually dominating the surrounding country and a gate, which was often a portcullis on these ancient castles.

Catalina Lane - Catalina is a census-designated place located in Pima County, Arizona. As of the 2000 census, the CDP had a total population of 7,025.

Cathedral Circle/Lane - Two other streets located in Nashua, Cathedral Circle and Cathedral Lane, are part of the religious streets in Nashua. A cathedral is the church in which a bishop presides. The designation is not dependent on the size or magnificence of a church edifice, but is entirely a matter of its assignment as the church in which the bishop shall officiate.

Cedar Street - The tree street district in Nashua includes Cedar Street, which was named for the tree belonging to the small genus Cedrus of the family Pinaceae (pine family). All are native to the Old World from the Mediterranean to the Himalayas, although several are cultivated elsewhere as ornamentals, especially the cedar of Lebanon (C. libani), which appears in the Lebanese flag. This tree, native to Asia Minor and North Africa, is famous for the historic groves of the Lebanon Mts., frequently mentioned in the Bible. The wood used in building the Temple and the house of Solomon (1 Kings 5, 6, and 7) may, however, have been that of the deodar cedar (C. deodara), native to the Himalayas. It has fragrant wood, durable and fine grained, and is venerated by the Hindus, who call it Tree of God. The name cedar is used (particularly in North America, where no cedars are native) for other conifers, e.g., the juniper (red cedar), arborvitae (white cedar), and others of the family Cupressaceae (cypress family). Several tropical American trees of the genus Cedrela of the mahogany family are also called cedars. True cedars are classified in the division Pinophyta, class Pinopsida, order Coniferales, family Pinaceae.

Celeste Street - Celeste Street was named for the daughter of David Santerre who owned a large plot of Nashua land in the mid to late 1800’s. He later gave it to his daughter Celeste. The family, which still primarily presides within present-day Nashua, continues to upkeep and still owns the land they acquired years ago.

Celina Avenue - The daughter of the contractor for Celina Avenue named the street in her honor. At one point, she owned part of her father’s Nashua estate. The Smith family, which originally moved to Nashua in the late 1800s, played a large role in the commercial development of the downtown region and owned one of the first convenience stores within that area. Many members of the Smith family continue to reside in Nashua.

Central Street - Central Street was the site of a historic hotel developed by the Nashua Manufacturing Company in 1824 and in 1825. A third story was added to provide more housing for single men working in the mill. In 1831, the Nashua Manufacturing Company renamed Central House and the street was given the name instead. In December 1945, the town bought the land and the hotel was moved in the following spring to the site of the present Laton House.

Century Road - In commemoration of the beginning of the twentieth century, the contractor named it Century Road. Historically, it was a prosperous period for the Nashua region. The New Year parties, which lasted for three over days, brought together bands and other such entertainment in front of the City Hall in part from the preparation of the formation of Nashua, which had occurred in 1903. Other events in the early part of the century include the construction of a city trolley and streetcars.

Chablis Court - This street was positioned in the wine district and was named after the Chablis brand, which originally was a white Burgundy blend from east-central France. This wine, popular on the West Coast, was also a white table wine of California. Other streets in the area include Burgundy Street, Beaujolias, Riesling, and Vineyard.

Chadwick Circle - Chadwick Circle was named for James Chadwick, an English native in the late 1800s, whose contributions to world of physics gained him the Nobel Peace Prize in 1935. After graduating from the Honors School of Physics in 1911, he contributed to the nuclear science efforts during World War I and made a fundamental discovery about neurons within the atomic structure. He also discovered many elements that were used by the military, including Uranium.

Champagne Drive - Another street in the wine district is Champagne Drive, named for the beverage that has become popular worldwide. Champagne, a former historic region and providence of Northeast France, influenced the French who later moved to the Nashua region, which still comprises much of the culture in the city.

Chandler Street - Chandler Street was named for Mabel Chandler, a Nashua worker and resident, who left her home to the city for use as a branch library. Aside from her home, she also donated the majority of her estate so the library could purchase books. This contributed to the Chandler Library's success during its beginning years in the mid 1940's.

Chapel Hill Drive - In the religious district, Chapel Hill Drive exists, along with other streets such as Clergy Street, Divinity Street, and Lutheran Road. Historically, it existed as a region influenced primarily by the Christian faith, but has diminished over time. Today, only one church still exists in the district. Typically, a chapel is smaller and a subordinate to the church.

Chapman Street - Chapman Street is located in a district of named with college based names and was named for Chapman University in California, a college known for its law program. It was founded in 1995 as the only school of law in Orange County on a university campus, and had greatly influenced the development of many Massachusetts-based law institutes.

Charlotte Avenue - One of Nashua's oldest schools was built on Charlotte Avenue. It was built in 1911 and was first used as a primary and middle school. Today, the school still exists and continues to operate.

Charron Avenue - Charron is an area within northern Nashua named after French Philosopher and theologian Pierre Charron (1541-1603) whose literary contributions included the study of human skepticism and ideas of religious existence. He also played a large role in the religious culture of Paris by becoming a priest in the 1560's.

Chase Street - Chase Street was named after Thomas Chase, a popular innkeeper who built the Washington House in 1830. It became a popular hotel and entertainment spot for the citizens of Nashua during the mid 1800s. Mr. Chase sold it to John Gray before he died.

Chatham Street - The name for Chatham Street came from the Cape Cod Town of Chatham, which is alongside other Massachusetts-based street names. As of the 2000 census, the town had a total population of 6,625. Chatham was first settled in 1665 and was officially incorporated in 1712. Chatham is the birthplace of six-time U.S. champion and 1996 world champion figure skater Todd Eldredge, considered by many to be one of the finest male figure skaters ever. While Todd now resides outside of Detroit, Michigan, his family still lives in Chatham.

Chaucer Road - Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1343 - October 25, 1400) was an English author, poet, philosopher, bureaucrat (courtier), and diplomat. Chaucer is best known as the author of The Canterbury Tales. He is sometimes credited with being the first author to demonstrate the artistic legitimacy of the vernacular English language, rather than French or Latin. Chaucer wrote poetry as a diversion from his job as Comptroller of the Customs for the port of London, and also translated such important works as The Romance of the Rose by Guillaume de Lorris (extended by Jean de Meun), and Boethius' Consolation of Philosophy. However, while many scholars maintain that Chaucer did indeed translate part of the text of The Romance of the Rose, others claim that this has been effectively disproved. He also wrote the Parlement of Foules, the House of Fame, and Chanticleer and the Fox, the latter based on a story by Marie de France. However, he is best known as the writer of Troilus and Criseyde and of The Canterbury Tales, a collection of stories (told by fictional pilgrims on the road to the cathedral at Canterbury) that would help to shape English literature. In the history of English literature, he is considered the introducer of continental accentual-syllabic metre as an alternative to the alliterative Anglo-Saxon metre. He also helped to standardise the southern accent (London area) of the Middle English language. In 1556 his remains were transferred to a more ornate tomb, making Chaucer the first writer interred in the area now known as Poets' Corner.

Chautauqua Avenue - This street was named after the Chautauqua Indian tribes. It is an Iroquois word, meaning either "two moccasins tied together" or "jumping fish".

Cherokee Avenue - Cherokee Avenue was named for the Cherokee Indians, the largest Native American group in the United States. Formerly the largest and most important tribe in the Southeast, they occupied mountain areas of North and South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee. The Cherokee language belongs to the Iroquoian branch of the Hokan-Siouan linguistic stock. The Cherokee were removed to Indian Territory in the 1830s after conflict with American settlers over rights to traditional lands.

Cherry Hollow Road - In the newly developed Sky Meadow Estates, Cherry Hollow Road was named for the surrounding area covered with Cherry trees. The street was an original name created by the contractor and is the furthest developed point within the school meadowland area.

Cherry Street - Cherry Street was named by the contractor for the abundance of cherry trees. Cherry is the name for several species of trees or shrubs of the genus Prunus (a few are sometimes classed as Padus) of the family Rosaceae (rose family) and for their fruits. The small, round red to black fruits are botanically designated drupes, or stone fruits, as are those of the closely related peach, apricot, and plum. The cherry is one of the most commonly grown home-orchard fruits. About 600 varieties are cultivated, practically all derived from two species-P. avium (sweet cherries) and P. cerasus (sour cherries). Both are believed to be native to Asia Minor and have long been cultivated; they were mentioned in the writings of the ancients. Wild Cherries are grown today in the United States.

Cherryfield Drive - Cherryfield Drive was the historical site of cherry tree farming in the late 1890’s.

Chesapeake Road - British settlers formed the colonial Chesapeake region of Massachusetts in the mid 1600s. This region's influence expanded into southern New Hampshire region and remains of its influence continues to exist.

Cheshire Street - Cheshire Street was named after a former New Hampshire county, which was the largest and most militarily important in the 1750s, during the American Revolutionary War. By 1775, its population numbered about 10,569, 376 of which were in the army. Originally a British name and territory, the street coincides with other streets in this British district of Nashua.

Chester Street - This Massachusetts town was originally named for the city in England. In the 1720s, Dunstable was a frontier town where many Indian colonial attacks occurred. Chester, was part of the region, as were Merrimack, Pelham, and Litchfield. It was the most violent site of Native colonial feuding.

Chestnut Street - Chestnut Street is located in the tree street district. During the late 1800s, John Blunt owned a store on the street, making it the outskirts of trading in Nashua. John Blunt, a former Amherst resident, had moved to Nashua in 1836, hoping that his business would be more profitable.

Cheyenne Drive - Cheyenne Drive is part of a capital development in Nashua. The capital of Wyoming, Cheyenne is in the southeast part of the state near the Nebraska and Colorado borders. It was founded in 1867 as a division point for the Union Pacific Railroad. Its current population is 54,300. It is a market for sheep and cattle ranches and a shipping center with good transportation facilities. Manufactures include dairy, wood, petroleum, and metal products; feeds, lumber, machinery, and construction materials. The city was established after the Union Pacific RR selected the site for a division point in 1867. It was made territorial capital in 1869. In the 1870s the development of cattle ranching and the opening of the Black Hills gold fields stimulated the city's growth. Cheyenne revives its past annually with a Frontier Days celebration, first held in 1897. Landmarks include the state capitol and the supreme court building, which houses the state historical museum and library. Nearby is Francis E. Warren Air Force Base.

Chinook Drive - Chinook Drive was named for the Chinook tribes, North American Indians who sold canoes, shells, and slaves to settlers. During the Lewis and Clark expeditions, they were the first documented people on the expedition. This street follows a Native America theme that is the basis of about ten other Nashua names.

Church Street - Located in the religious district of Nashua, Church Street was the site of one of the first churches in Nashua. The church, in Christianity, is a community of believers, gathering to worship Christ.

Churchill Street- Winston Churchill was the British prime minister who was often recognized as the "greatest statesman" of the 20th century. As prime minister (1940-1945 and 1951-1955) he led Great Britain through World War II. Churchill published several works, including The Second World War (1948-1953), and won the 1953 Nobel Prize for literature. This street is located with others in the British section of town.

Cider Street - Nashua Manufacturing Company named Cider Street in 1935 to commemorate this area, which was the center of Nashua cider production in the late 1880’s.

Circle Avenue - The contractor decided to name Circle Avenue for its circular shape. Positioned in north Nashua, it is a new street, created in the 1990s.

Clairmoor Drive - Clairmoor Drive was once the site of the Clairmoor Hotel. It was one of Nashua’s first and oldest sites, but was later torn down.

Clark Road
- Clark Road was named for Fred C. Clark, a city engineer and member of the Board of Public Works in 1940.

Clement Street - Mr. Raymond Clement of Tyngsboro contributed to the hydroelectric project at Pawtucket falls in 1986. His generosity inspired developers to name the street in his honor.

Clergy Street - Clergy Street is in the religious district of Nashua. In the Christian religion, it is a body of people ordained for service in the church.

Cleveland Street - Cleveland Street was named after the 22nd and 24th president of the United States. A Democrat, Cleveland is the only U.S. president to serve two non-consecutive terms. He was elected in 1884, succeeding Chester A. Arthur, and served one term, but in the elections of 1888 he was unseated by Republican Benjamin Harrison. In 1892 Cleveland returned the favor by unseating Harrison and returning to office for another four-year term. Cleveland did not pursue a third term and was replaced in 1897 by William McKinley. Cleveland became the first and only president to Wednesday in the White House by marrying Frances Folsom in 1886. (He was 49, she 21.) And he successfully hid a serious medical condition - his cancerous upper jawbone was removed and replaced with a vulcanized rubber implant in a secret 1893 operation.

Cliff Road - John Cliff, for whom Cliff Road was named, was a resident of Nashua in 1920’s and a contractor.

Clinton Street - Clinton Street was developed when Nashville and Nashua merged in 1847. Clinton Street was originally laid out forty feet wide and extended five hundred and eighty-seven feet to the Nashua river bridge. It remains one of Nashua oldest and most historic streets.

Clocktower Place - This street was named for the recent apartments created in the clock mill building. Developments began in 1995 and continue within other Nashua mill spaces.

Clydesdale Circle - Clydesdale Circle was named for the horse farm that existed in the area during the late 1880's. It is a large powerful draft horse of a breed developed in the Clyde valley of Scotland, having white-feathered hair on its fetlocks.

Coburn Avenue - Deacon Thomas Colburn was a resident of Nashua who died at 96 during the 1800’s. His age and prominence in the community led to the naming of the street.

Colburn Street - Sergeant Colburn, was an early political figure and forefather of Nashua. He is famous for redefining the meeting house where legislation and town planning took place. In 1720, he voted to erect pews in the meeting house, the beginning of luxury and ambition within Nashua's local government.

Colby Road - Colby road was named for Doctor B. Colby, an early physician in Nashua during the 1840s. After graduating from Harvard, he came to Nashua, along with many other Boston doctor, who also set up medical practices. In the decade that followed, Dr. E.B Hammond, Dr. S. A Toothaker, H.W Buxton, and Dr. J.H Graves came to the region.

Coleridge Road- Samuel Coleridge was an English Poet who lived 1772-1834. Coleridge was famous for dreamy and somewhat creepy poems like The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Christabel and Kubla Khan (the last of which he allegedly wrote subconsciously during a fever dream). Coleridge and poet William Wordsworth were close pals and their work led to what became known as poetry's Romantic movement. Coleridge is also remembered for his turbulent personal life, especially his decades-long addiction to opium.Opium addiction was not a novelty among writers of the era. Others who indulged included Thomas de Quincey and Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

Colgate Road - Colgate is in the college district of northern Nashua. Colgate University is an elite, private liberal arts college located in the Town of Hamilton in Madison County, New York. Colgate offers 51 majors leading to a B.A., all of which are registered officially with the New York State Education Department. These include several languages, most sciences, a strong geology department, an equally strong economics dept., as well as Peace Studies, Political Science and other usual majors.

Colleen Road - Colleen was the daughter of one of the developers.

Colonial Avenue - Colonial Avenue was the site of the Nashua colonial theater, an entertainment center and movie house from 1911 to 1954. It had an arcade and other small shops and stores near its entrance. At its height within the 1950s, it was one of only five movie theaters in the region.

Columbia Drive - Columbia Drive is part of the college street district of Nashua and is named for Columbia University, New York, New York. This college, formally known as the Kings College of New York, is among one of the oldest Universities within the United States and continues to be acknowledged as one of the most prestigious. This street district, developed within the mid 1900s, included schools that many surrounding citizens had attended.

Columbine Drive - Columbine Drive is in the Boire Airfield area of Nashua and is relatively new. The Columbine shootings in Colorado, which the street was named for, greatly affected Nashua’s decision to construct two separate High School’s amongst many nationally appointed educational regulations.

Comanche Street - One Southern Plains Indian tribe originally from Wyoming is the Comanche. They developed the lands along the Texas panhandle and in New Mexico.

Commercial Street -The contractor decided to name Commercial Street for the Nashua historic business region. During the 1990s, it developed into a location of many large corporations and companies including the Nashua Telegraph and BAE. It has become a prime business location in Nashua.

Conant Road - Conant Road was developed in 1845 and named for Andrew Conant, an esteemed Nashua mill owner and contractor. The construction of this street occurred when the towns of Nashville and Nashua were being joined under one charter. High Street and modern day Broad Street were also created during this time.

Concord Street - One of Nashua’s oldest roads, Concord Street originally provided a direct route to Concord New Hampshire. Years ago, Manchester Street was also a direct route to Manchester New Hampshire. These two streets, in colonial times, were two of the most traveled roads in New Hampshire.

Congress Street - Congress Street was named for the legislative body in American government. A congress is different from a parliament (Westminster System of Government) in that legislative initiative is vested into it. In a congressional system the executive and legislative branches of government are clearly differentiated. The office as Head of State (president) and Head of Government (prime minister) are typically merged, and the members of cabinet are only rarely taken from the congress.

Connecticut Avenue - One of the streets named for states by the contractor was Connecticut Avenue. It was admitted as one of the original Thirteen Colonies in 1788. Connecticut's coastline was explored by Dutch navigators after 1614, and in 1635 colonists from Massachusetts Bay began to settle in the Connecticut River valley. The Fundamental Orders, a constitution based on the consent of the governed, was adopted by the colony in 1639. Hartford is the capital and Bridgeport the largest city. Its current population is 3,500,000.

Copp Street - Henry Copp operated one of the first city bookstores in 1850 and began a business trend in Nashua. He was the uncle of Eldridge J. Copp, who wrote a book about his Civil War experiences from his perspective. The Civil War book became famous and is still considered one of the best New Hampshire-based accounts of the war.

Cornell Road - Cornell Road, named for Cornell University, is part of the college and university development. Cornell University is an ivy-league school in Ithaca, New York. It was named for Ezra Cornell, who donated $500,000 and a tract of land. With the help of state senator Andrew D. White, who became Cornell's first president, it was made the state land-grant institution. The university has 13 colleges and schools throughout the state. Cornell Univ. Medical College, affiliated with New York Hospital, the Hospital for Special Surgery, and Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, is in New York City. The university operates the Center for Radiophysics and Space Research and the National Astronomy and Ionosphere Center, as well as two agricultural experiment stations and a laboratory for ornithology. It is affiliated with the Brookhaven National Laboratory (Long Island). Of note on Cornell's campus are the U.S. plant, soil, and nutrition laboratory, the school of nutrition, and the laboratory of nuclear physics, which includes a reactor and a synchotron. The schools of agriculture and life sciences, veterinary medicine, human ecology, and industrial and labor relations are divisions of the State Univ. of New York.

Cornwall Lane - Cornwall Lane, located in the British-named district, is named for Cornwall, a region of extreme southwest England on a peninsula bounded by the Atlantic Ocean and English Channel. Its tin and copper mines were known to ancient Greek traders and sparked relations between countries at the time.

Cortez Drive - Cortez Drive is one of the streets in the Spanish explorer district. Cortez was a Spanish conquistador who defeated the Aztecs and conquered Mexico (1485-1547). Cortés went (1504) first to Hispaniola and later (1511) accompanied Diego de Velázquez to Cuba. In 1518 he was chosen to lead an expedition to Mexico. Although Velázquez later sought to recall his commission, Cortés sailed in February, 1519. In Yucatán he rescued a Spaniard who had learned the Mayan language; after a victory over the native people of Tabasco, Cortés acquired the services of a female slave Malinche-baptized Marina-who knew both Maya and Aztec. Having proceeded up the coast, Cortés founded Villa Rica de la Vera Cruz and was chosen captain general by the cabildo; thus he discarded Velázquez's authority and became responsible only to Charles V.

Cote Avenue - Nashua is home to a large French-Canadian population, and Cote Avenue comes from the word “côté,” which means side or next to in French.

Cotton Road - Cotton Road was named after John E. Cotton, a prominent Nashua citizen who contributed land and funds to Greeley Park. He lived on Concord Street (near Greeley Park) and was a co-owner of the Maine Manufacturing Company.

Cottonwood Road - Cottonwood was named for several North American poplar trees, especially Populus deltoides, which has triangular leaves and a tuft of cottony hairs on the seeds.

Court Street - The original home of Nashua’s courthouse was on Court Street. It was also the site of Nashua’s first police station in 1891, a new post office in 1906, and is now the location of Nashua’s public library, built in 1970.

Cox Street - Cox Street was named for William Cox, an area resident who fought in the Revolutionary War.

Cranberry Lane - Cranberry Lane is named for one of the few native fruits in the area, cranberries. The cranberry is a mat-forming, evergreen shrub (Vaccinium macrocarpum) of eastern North America, having pink flowers and tart, red, edible berries.

Crescent Street - Crescent Street is named for its curving shape, in contrast to the straight streets surrounding it.

Crest View Terrace - Crest View Terrace was named for aesthetic purposes. The view

Cross Street - Cross was a resident of Dunstable who was captured by Indians and held for two years until he escaped.

Crowley Avenue - Crowley Avenue was named for James B. Crowley, who was a prominent citizen around the turn of the century. His involvement in Nashua’s semi-centennial celebration helped ensure its success. Crowley was also a member of the board of directors for Second National Bank and was part of the insurance firm Buxton & Crowley.

Crown Street - Crown Hill development, which includes Crown Street, grew rapidly during the 1870s. George Underhill is nicknamed the “father of Crown Hill” because he bought the tract of land in the 1840s, which later became a residential area.

Curtis Drive - Curtis Drive was named for Elder Silas Curtis, who headed the First Free-Will Baptist Church after its organization in 1838.

Cutler Road - Cutler Road was named for Dr. Nathan Cutler, the only physician in town until after the Revolutionary War.

Custer Circle - Custer Circle was part of a development with a mid-Western theme. George A. Custer was an American general who graduated at the bottom of his class at West Point military academy, but saw extensive action as a Union cavalry officer in the Civil War and reached the wartime rank of major general. After the war he was made lieutenant-colonel of the Seventh Cavalry on America's western frontier. Custer is best remembered for losing the battle of Little Big Horn, in which his troops faced combined bands of Lakota Sioux, Cheyenne, and Arapaho Indians led by the chief Sitting Bull. The battle ended with Custer's troops on a knoll encircled by Indians, a moment which became known as Custer's Last Stand; Custer and his entire force of over 200 men were killed. The battle made Custer a popular American hero and martyr for nearly a century, but by the late 1900s his stardom faded a bit as his tactics were more closely examined and as popular attitudes toward Native Americans changed. The site of the battle, in what is now Montana, was designated as a national monument in 1946.Custer's body was buried on the battlefield, but later exhumed and reburied at West Point.

Cypress Lane - Cypress Lane is part of the tree street district, and is named after the cypress tree. The cypress tree is any of various evergreen trees or shrubs of the genus Cupressus, native to Eurasia and North America and having opposite, scalelike leaves and globose woody cones.