H

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | Y | Z
Haines Street - Lizzie T. Haines donated land located on the North edge of Kinsley Street to the city on June 13, 1890. This land was to be used in addition to various other donations for the formation of the Woodlawn Cemetery, which still exists today. This burial ground would not be, had it not been for citizens like Haines who donated their land.

Hamblett Drive - Charles J. Hamblett was a prominent legal figure in Nashua, and a U.S. District Attorney in his later life. Hamblett was born in Nashua, and although raised in Milford, returned here to begin his legal practice. He was admitted to the New Hampshire bar in 1889, the same year he founded his firm. He also worked diligently as an assistant clerk of the senate and president of the Common Council of Nashua.

Hammond Court - The Hammond Family was well known for medical purposes in the mid to late 1800s. Dr. Evan B. Hammond was a graduate of Harvard Medical School and set up a lucrative practice in 1840. He retired in 1885 and his son, Charles B. Hammond continue where he left off. Another graduate of Harvard Medical School, Charles quickly established himself as an excellent physician and surgeon and his practice continued to grow.

Hancock Street - Hancock Street was named for Thomas Hancock, resident of ancient Dunstable, and guardian of John Hancock, famed signer of the Declaration of Independence. Thomas bought a tract of land in partnership with William Tyler (for whom Tyler Street is named) in 1736, leaving it to John when he died.

Harbor Avenue - An area known as “The Harbor” was one of the earliest places of settlement in Nashua. This area that Harbor Avenue is named for existed between the Nashua River and Salmon Brook. An ancient map of this area exists in the Massachusetts Historical Society, dating back to 1684. Some speculate that early settlers chose this are because advancing Indian canoes may have been easy to spot from that point.

Harris Road - Harris Road was named after Harris Farm, located in that area. The owner of Harris farm at one point attempted to raise silk worms, only to realize that the New England climate was too harsh. His dreams of riches and silks died along with his mulberry trees.

Harris Street - Ira Harris was a prominent community activist and well - known Indian Head Bank cashier. In 1936, his wife, Mary Proctor Harris, died leaving a 20 thousand dollars to the city in her husband’s memory - as he had died a few years earlier. A trust was set up with the money and designated for “lecture and concert courses free or as near as practical.” Funds from the Harris family also went toward building a Community Council Building in the 1930s.

Hassell Brook Road - This road is located directly alongside a brook, which runs through an area of Nashua known as Hassell Brook. During King Philip’s War in the 1670s, a log cabin belonging to Joseph and Anna Hassell was attacked and burned to the ground by Indians. All inside the cabin perished, including the Hassell’s son Benjamin and neighbor Mary Marks. A memorial stone now stands where the cabin once stood.

Hall Avenue - In 1892, Williams Hall became mayor of the city of Nashua. After being raised in Massachusetts, Hall moved to Nashua in 1857 and began working in his brother’s manufactory facility on Water Street. He then worked on as a clerk and owner of a successful general store before running for mayor. Hall boasts a clean political record, and under his administration, both the Amherst Street School and Fire Department were completed along with a number of other city improvement projects.

Harbor Court
- This street is located near Globe Plaza, an area that was once a well - enjoyed body of water called Harbor Pond. This pond was part of the Salmon Brook system, much of which is now covered by Main Street and its various developments. Harbor Pond was filled in to make way for development in 1962, but the land did not settle well, causing the bumpy floors and parking lots in the Plaza.

Hastings Lane - Lemuel S. Hastings became principal of the then - new Nashua high school building in the summer of 1889 after the previous principal resigned.

Hayden Street - During the Civil War, a man known as Sergeant Geo. A. Hayden of New Hampshire served selflessly in the Heavy Artillery Unit of the F Company.

Harvard Street - Harvard Street was named for the prestigious Harvard University, located in Cambridge Massachusetts. This college is an extremely competitive and selective school and is sought out by law, medical, and business students from all over the world. Several streets in the Nashua area are named for famous universities and colleges from all across the United States and the prominence of Harvard sparked developers to name this street for it.

Lincolnshire, it was moved to Humberside in 1974 (where it formed the larger part of the borough of Great Grimsby) and since 1996 has been part of the unitary authority of North East Lincolnshire. It is called "Great Grimsby" to distinguish it from Little Grimsby, a village about 20km to the south, near Louth. Grimsby was founded by the Danes in the 9th Century AD, although there is some evidence of a small town of Roman workers sited in the area some seven centuries earlier. Located on the River Haven, which flowed into the Humber, Grimsby would have provided an ideal location for ships to shelter from approaching storms. It was also well situated for the rich fishing grounds in the North Sea. The name Grimsby probably originated from Grim's by, or "Grim's Village", although an alternative view is that Grimsby is a concatenation of three Celtic syllables "Gri - maes - buy", meaning "the place of the sacred mounds".

Hereford Drive
- Hereford Drive is another example of a Nashua street named after an old English City. Hereford, England is a historic city located in western England close to the border of Wales and is home to a medieval castle dating back to the year 1079. Hereford is a cattle - market town, from which the cattle breed takes its name. Industries include food processing, brewing, and light manufacturing. At its cathedral, which probably dates from the 11th cent., the Festival of the Three Choirs is held every third year. (In the other years it is held at Gloucester or Worcester.) The nearby White Cross commemorates the termination of the great plague in the mid - 14th cent. A grammar school was founded there in the 14th cent. Hereford was the birthplace of Nell Gwyn, mistress of Charles II, and the stage actor David Garrick.

Holmes Street - Holmes Street is named for a family that contributed much to Nashua. Oliver Wendell Holmes wrote The Pilgrim’s Vision, which was quite popular in Dunstable. As late as the 1800s, there were lingering feelings of piety so the Pilgrim Congregational Church was built on Temple Street. Also, Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. served as a lawyer and member of the U.S. Supreme Court from 1902 to 1932. Many ancestors of the Holmes Family have settled through out the New England area.

Holt Avenue - The Holt family was prominent in Nashua, therefore naming Holt Avenue. Charles Holt worked as a reporter for the paper at the time and H. A. Holt invented the Lock mortising machine. Their estate, named Holt estate, was on Prospect Street. In 1899, the estate was bought for the beginning of what is now Memorial Hospital.

Honeysuckle Court - Honeysuckle Ct. is named for the honeysuckle, a common name for some members of the Caprifoliaceae, a family comprised mostly of vines and shrubs of the Northern Hemisphere, especially abundant in E Asia and E North America. The family includes the elders, viburnums, weigelas, and snowberries as well as the honeysuckles; many are hardy plants that are sometimes cultivated as ornamentals. One of the best - known North American species of the true honeysuckles (genus Lonicera) is the trumpet honeysuckle (L. sempervirens), an evergreen plant with fragrant, trumpet - shaped scarlet blossoms. The Japanese honeysuckle (L. japonica), with small white to yellow flowers, is naturalized in the United States and has become a ubiquitous and noxious weed, strangling the living plants on which it climbs. Woodbine, a name for several European vines, is most often L. periclymenum, also called eglantine. Bush honeysuckles are of the genus Diervilla. Some plants of other families are also called honeysuckle, e.g., the swamp and purple honeysuckles of the heath family. Sambucus (elder or elderberry) and Viburnum are shrubs and trees usually having showy flat - topped clusters of white flowers. The fruits of some species are edible, e.g., those of the common North American elder (S. canadensis), used in preserves, pies, and wine. The European elder (S. nigra) and the “Spirit of the Elder” have figured prominently in folklore of N Europe. Among the better known viburnums (also having edible berries) are the black haw, or stagbush (V. prunifolium), of E North America; the straggling - branched hobblebush, or wayfaring tree (V. alnifolium in America, V. lantana in the Old World); and the high - bush cranberry, or cranberry tree (V. opulus; the American plants are sometimes designated as V. trilobum). The snowball, or guelder - rose, is a cultivated variety of the cranberry tree in which the rounded blossom-clusters are composed of large sterile flowers. Arrowwood (V. dentatum and similar species) was formerly used for making arrows. The waxy - fruited snowberries are species of the genus Symphoricarpos. Weigela (or weigelia), shrubs of the E Asian genus Weigela, are sometimes cultivated elsewhere for their funnel - shaped blossoms. Twinflower (Linnaea borealis), unusual for this family in that it is herbaceous, was the favorite flower of Linnaeus. Honeysuckle is classified in the division Magnoliophyta, class Magnoliopsida, order Dipsacales, family Caprifoliaceae.

Hooker Street - Hooker Street was named for Thomas Hooker, who was the first minister of Hartford Connecticut. His granddaughter, Mrs. Weld received a grant of land in Nashua, and her ancestors continued to reside in the area.

Hopi Street - The Hopi (which means good, peaceful, or wise) Indians, for whom Hopi Drive is named, come from a group of Southwestern people called Pueblo. The Hopis call themselves Hopitu, the peacable people. They live in northeast Arizona at the southern end of the Black Mesa. A mesa is the name given to a small isolated flat - topped hill with three steep sides called the 1st Mesa, 2nd Mesa, and the 3rd Mesa. On the mesa tops are the Hopi villages called pueblos. The pueblo of Oraibi on the 3rd Mesa started in 1050, and is the oldest in North America that was lived in continuously. Their ancestors, the Anasazi, appear to have been related to the Aztecs of Mexico, and may have arrived in their current location 5 to 10 thousand years ago. In that time, they have developed an intricate ceremonial calendar that has helped them survive and be strong in a place that would not seem to have enough reliable water to sustain life. Although these were not the first Indians in Nashua, a whole group of streets bear various Indian tribe names.

Hopkins Street - Hopkins Street is named after a family that was prominent in the area. Captain Peter Powers and Anna Keyes were some of the first settlers of Hollis, and their family later gave a Centennial Address in Hollis. Peter Powers was later drawn to Dunstable and gained 37.5 acres of land grants from the proprietors of Dunstable. Anne Powers, the daughter of Peter Powers married Benjamin Hopkins Esq. of Milford. George W. Hopkins, a resident of Nashua, later served in the New Hampshire volunteer infantry during the Revolutionary War.

Horizon Circle - Horizon Circle represents the names of many businesses in the Nashua area, including Horizon Business systems, Horizon Communications, Horizons Aerial Photography, and New Horizons Bodywork and Massage. A horizon is defined as the apparent intersection of the earth and sky as seen by an observer. This is also known as an apparent horizon. Many of the companies are named after this word, but it originally came from Middle English horizon.

Horsepond Avenue - Horsepond Avenue is named for the Horsepond Fish and Game Club, which is located at 13 Horsepond Avenue. It was established in 1945 and has a full board of leaders. Becoming a member requires one to know someone already in the club as well as to fill out a full application. There are also very specific rules for the area and membership dues to pay. This has been an important aspect of Nashua’s history, especially because of the connection between hunting from the times of Old Dunstable to this club.

Hosmer Avenue - Hosmer Avenue is named for a famous sculptor. Harriet Hosmer (1830 - 1908) has brought honor to both her country and her sex by her brilliant work as a sculptor. She proved that Americans can be sculptors and that a woman can handle a chisel as well as palette and brush. Harriet Hosmer was born in Watertown, Massachusetts. She enjoyed a very active childhood with much physical exercise. Since her mother and older sister died of tuberculosis, her physician father encouraged her to spend much time outdoors in the open air. Harriet soon became an all around athlete, participating in hunting, fishing, rowing, and horseback riding. In the fields and forests she gained a thorough knowledge of animal life, and when while she was but a child she began to model dogs, horses, and other animals in a clay pit near her home. The physical strength that she acquired in her childhood would enable her afterward to wield the four pound mallet for eight or ten hours per day that was required of a sculptor. While her studies were of secondary importance, she was still given a good education. Harriet was sent to a progressive school that fostered independence and provided her with creative women role models. She soon found that sculpting was her forte and she went to Street Louis to study anatomy. Next she went to Rome and became the pupil of the famous sculptor, John Gibson, where she attracted the patronage of affluent tourists. For her work, “The Sleeping Faun”, she received $5,000. Harriet was not the only female sculptor in Rome at this time, but became one of a group of American women sculptors dubbed the “White Marmorean Flock”. She also joined herself to a large circle of international artists and writers and became a great success. Some of her most famous works are “Zenobia in Chains” and “Queen of Palmyra”. Interestingly enough, she is related to Ruth Hosmer Powers who lived in New Hampshire, probably in relation to the Powers family that had been related to a settler of Nashua.

Houde Street - Houde Street was named after a well - known family in Nashua. Their family is of the Houde - Houle lineage originally from Canada. Joseph - Balthazar Houle married Blanche Bernatchez on October 28, 1929 in Nashua NH, at St - François - Xavier parish. The second marriage with Blanche Holland on July 17, 1964 at Montréal, Notre - Dame parish was next before the third marriage with Marcelle Leroux on July 1, 1980 at Montréal, Notre - Dame parish. This is one early record. Today, there are various descendants that settled in the area of Nashua, setting up companies that are known by the name Houde, including the Houde & Co. Professional Association. Other Houde family members have resided all over New Hampshire.

Howard Court - Howard Court is named for Samuel Howard. He was an early settler of Old Dunstable and lived from 1684 to February 7, 1769. He died at the age of 85. His family has continued to live in the area.

Howard Street - Howard Street was named for Joseph W. Howard, mayor of Nashua from 1895 - 1896. He came to Nashua in 1867 and entered the furniture store of E. P. Brown, becoming a partner in the business. Once the firm dissolved, he formed a co - partnership with Captain C. D. Copp. under the firm name of Howard and Copp and later Charles French. Mr. Howard later became sole proprietor of the business in Nashua. He was president of the Howard Furniture company, organized in 1892 and located in a salesroom on Front Street. He owned half of the building his father owned on Howard block. He assisted other enterprises, including the Masonic temple and Odd Fellows building. He served Ward one on the board of selectmen and represented it in the common council in 1877 and 1878. He was in the board of aldermen in 1879 and 1880 and served the city on the board of education for 12 years. He was a member of the legislature of 1887 and 1888 and married Nancy J. Hasselton on August 27, 1868.

Howe Lane - Howe Lane was named for William Howe who was admitted as a citizen of Chelmsford, Massachusetts in the late 1600s. He received 24 acres under the stipulation that he had to set up his trade of weaving, one of the first in the area. Many of his descendants later moved to Nashua and later saw the rise of industry in Old Dunstable.

Howe Road - Howe Road is named for Elias Howe, who spent a few months in Nashua in the early 1840s and used space in Vale Mills to perfect one part of the sewing machine. He was poor, as evidenced by the laundresses’ comment that he had only two shirts to his name. In Boston, he patented the first sewing machine in 1846. A small industry was later formed in Nashua called Weed sewing machines, but after financial problems, it moved to Boston and made bikes.

Hoyts Lane - Hoyts Lane was named for Katherine Prichard Hoyt, who after working at a women’s Reformatory, came to Nashua in 1889 and specialized in gynecology and obstetrics for a few years. She is considered to be the first resident woman physician and she was a member of the New Hampshire Medical society and the New England hospital Medical society of Boston.

Hudson Street - Hudson Street was given its name because it was the route one would take to get to Hudson. Also, Hudson was once part of Old Dunstable with Nashua. Hudson Street also once had a railway. In 1924, Nashua talked about annexing Hudson, but the talks went nowhere.

Hughey Street - Hughey Street is named for a well - known Irish family. Some spelling variations include, Hoey, Huey, O’Hoey, Hoy, Hue, Kehoe, Keogh, MacKeogh, and many more. The family has a crest and was first found in Tipperary where they held a family seat from ancient times at Ballymackeogh and were descended from the MacKeoghs who in turn were descended from their eponymous ancestor Eochaidh O’Kelly one of the ancient Kings of Ui Maine. Some of the first settlers were James Hoey in Charles Town, SC in 1772, William Hoey in 1803, Charles, Dennis, John, Michael, Thomas, and William Hoey in Philadelphia Pa. between 1840 and 1877. Many of the ones in New Hampshire started coming over in 1851, and by 1920, there were not more than 21 in New Hampshire.

Hunt Avenue - Hunt Avenue bears the name of Israel Hunt Jr. He was on a building committee for the town house. Also, he took possession of the Nashua Gazette and Hillsborough Country Advertiser as editor and proprietor in the 1830s. He was a Democrat and made an aggressive paper. He was also a large landholder and was an officer under the charter of Nashua Manufacturing and Mechanics Association. His home was the location of the original Post office. John M. Hunt, his son, later succeeded him and moved the office to Hunt’s General Store.

Hunt Street - Hunt Street bears the name of John M. Hunt who was an influential Democrat, the son of Israel Hunt Jr. He was born on March 31, 1797 and due to circumstances at the time, he received a minimum “common school” education and was self - taught. He married Mary Ann Munroe on January 28, 1833 and had two children. He was the town postmaster of Nashua. After John’s death in 1885, Mary A. Hunt and his daughter Mary E. Hunt bequeathed $85,000 to establish the John M. Hunt Home. The Hunt building is also named for him.

Hunters Lane - Hunters Lane was named for the early hunters and fishermen who supplemented meat and vegetables produced on the farm and sold the surplus in Massachusetts. Hunters Lane is a part of town that once was woods and had many hunters there because of a large wildlife population. After first settling the area, Dunstable was soon covered with apple orchards since many of the settlers came from a section of southeastern England noted for the manufacture of cider.

Huntington Lane - Huntingdon Lane is named for the Huntingdon Racecourse in England, which was holding steeplechase racing as early as 1886. Huntingdon Racecourse may have started as a country race track in 1886, basically as the equivalent of a Point - to - Point track, but little did the then organizers realize that over 100 years later, Waterloo Meadows would set the stage for some of the best Steeple Chasers in the country. In recent years, Huntingdon Racecourse has added a new, high profile race to its Sunday September fixture. The British Mascot Grand National, first run in 1999 has received widespread coverage and publicity and was even shown on the New Zealand Sports review of the Year in 2000. There is a racetrack in Hinsdale, which drew many crowds from Nashua, especially for entertainment purposes.

Huron Drive - Huron Drive was named for the Huron Indians who were part of the Iroquoian people. They were named Hurons by the French in the 17th century, but their name actually means "boar’s head” and came from the Old French hure, which referred to the male Hurons’ bristly coiffure. Although the French gave them this name, the Hurons called themselves Wendat, Guyandot, or Wyandot. These names are assumed to mean "islanders" or "peninsula dwellers." This is because their territory was bounded on three sides by water. Settling between Lake Huron and Lake Ontario, these Indians were significant to both the Americans and the Canadians. One of the most famous things the Hurons were known for is their involvement in the fur trade. Samuel de Champlain, founder of New France, developed a close relationship with the Hurons and they became trading partners. The Hurons would trade their fur with the French for European goods.

Hutchinson Street - Hutchinson Street was named for Captain Elisha Hutchinson, who was made selectman of Nashua on November 28, 1677. He was one of the original proprietors in the colony. Because he owned considerable land in Dunstable, his home was the location of the first town meeting. He was one of the abutting owners to John Whiting’s land. Records indicate that he was one of the first elected men, and participated in some of the earliest meetings held in 1675. Much of his posterity stayed in the town.

Hutton Street - Hutton Street is named for a prominent family in Merrimack, probably some ancestors which had a connection. According to Census records, William R. Hutton (1871), Ada HG Hutton (1880), Hellen Hutton (1906), Elen B. Hutton (1910), Norman G. Hutton (1916) and George M. Hutton (1868) are just a few that were born in Merrimack. Undoubtedly, a few might have moved to Nashua, which would explain the name of the street.

Hyacinth Drive - Hyacinth Drive is named after a flower. It is any plant of the genus Hyacinthus, bulbous herbs of the family Liliaceae (lily family) native to the Mediterranean region and South Africa. The common, or Dutch, hyacinth of house and garden culture became so popular in the 18th century that 2,000 kinds were said to be in cultivation in Holland, the chief commercial producer. This hyacinth has a single dense spike of fragrant flowers in shades of red, blue, white, or yellow. A variety of the common hyacinth is the less hardy and smaller blue - or white - flowered Roman hyacinth of florists. The flower of the Greek youth Hyacinth has been identified with a number of plants other than the true hyacinth. The related grape hyacinths, sometimes called baby's - breath, are very low, mostly blue - flowered herbs similar in appearance to hyacinths and also commonly cultivated

Hyannis Street - Hyannis Street is named for a town of southeast Massachusetts on Nantucket Sound in south - central Cape Cod. It is a popular summer resort and currently, its population is 14,120. Many of the residents of Nashua as well as New Hampshire go there. Also, it has a connection to John F. Kennedy, who announced his campaign in Nashua. The John F. Kennedy Hyannis Museum is located there. It is a window into the days he spent relaxing with his family, boating, and more about his life. Artifacts memorialize John F. Kennedy's affection for Cape Cod.