Inca Drive - Inca Drive is named for another group of Indians. The Inca Civilization was an aboriginal American Indian culture that evolved in the Andean region (western South America) prior to Spanish exploration and conquest in the 16th century. The pre-Columbian civilization was extraordinary in its developments of human society and culture, ranking with the early civilizations of Egypt and Mesopotamia. Viracocha was the feathered serpent god, one among many gods the Incans worshiped. The empire of the Incas was the largest state-level society in the New World prior to the arrival of the Europeans. The Inca Empire was quite short-lived. It lasted just shy of 100 years, from ca.1438 AD, when the Inca ruler Pachacuti and his army began conquering lands surrounding the Inca heartland of Cuzco, until the coming of the Spaniards in 1532.
Indian Fern Drive - Indian Fern Drive is named for the Indian fern, whose scientific named is Ceratopteris thalictroides. It is found primarily in Southeast Asia as a floating plant. It is a very versatile plant and can be grown submersed or as a floating plant. Buds form on older leaves, which can be separated at about an inch across and replanted or left floating. The leaf color and shape is variable under different lighting conditions. Watersprite ("water fern" or "Indian fern") is found naturally in still or slow running waters in almost all tropical areas of the world. This plant is rather unique in that it can be grown rooted in the gravel or a pot (often grows in excess of 60 cm. high), anchored to driftwood, rocks, or growing out of the water. It is also an excellent oxygenating plant and contributes to the biological filtration in the tank. Watersprite thrives in most fresh water conditions preferring soft, slightly acid water and does best at temperatures above 20 degrees Celsius. It likes moderate to bright, direct or indirect, incandescent, fluorescent or natural lighting. The reference to “Indian” in the name may relate to Indian head Avenue, but it is not found anywhere besides Asia or in aquariums.
Indian Head Avenue - Indian Head Avenue is named after the mills that once bore that name. It was derived from the old story of the Indian Head carving on a tree near the projected mill site. The Indian Head Mill was bought by the Jackson Company, which continued to manufacture Indian head cloth. The Indian Head with three feathers has been a symbol of the community since the old Indian war days. As a stamp, its appearance on cloth is rare and a symbol of quality. The Indian Head National bank was also named after this as well as the Indian Head Plaza on top of Temple Street, the Indian Head coin, the Indian Head Coffee House, and the Indian Head rock formation found in New Hampshire. Northern Dunstable was one known as Indian Head Village.
Indian Rock Road - Even though Indian Rock Park is one of Berkeley California’s rock parks in the Northbrae area providing great views and challenges for early-level rock climbing, Indian Rock Road is named for the Indian Head legend of Nashua. Indian Head was named because it was a symbol of early Nashua. Interestingly enough, when people walk along Indian Rock Road, travelers experience cold spots and the intense feeling of being watched by some malevolent force. This is one of the supposedly “haunted” spots in Nashua, NH and is famous for this reason.
Indiana Drive - Indiana Drive is named for the state of Indiana. It is a midwestern state in the North central United States. It is bordered by Lake Michigan and the state of Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, and Illinois. The Mound Builders were Indiana's earliest known inhabitants, and the remains of their culture have been found along Indiana's rivers and bottomlands. The region was first explored by Europeans, notably the French, in the late 17th cent. The leading French explorer was Robert Cavelier, sieur de La Salle, who came to the area in 1679. By the Treaty of Paris of 1763 ending the French and Indian Wars, Indiana, then part of the area known as the Old Northwest, passed from French to British control. During the American Revolution an expedition led by George Rogers Clark captured, lost, and then recaptured Vincennes from the British. By the Treaty of Paris of 1783 ending the Revolutionary War, Great Britain ceded the Old Northwest to the United States. In 1800, Indiana Territory was formed and included the states of Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin, and parts of Michigan and Minnesota. A constitutional convention met in 1816, and Indiana achieved statehood. Jonathan Jennings, an opponent of slavery, was elected governor. Indianapolis was laid out as the state capital, and the executive moved there in 1824-25.Indiana was the site of several experimental communities in the early 19th cent., notably the Rappite (1815) and Owenite (1825) settlements at New Harmony. In the 1840s the Wabash and Erie Canal opened between Lafayette and Toledo, Ohio, giving Indiana a water route via Lake Erie to eastern markets. Also in the 1840s the state's first railroad line was completed between Indianapolis and Madison. During the Panic of 1873, indebted farmers expressed their discontent by supporting the Granger movement and later the Greenback party in 1876 and the Populist party in the 1890s. Industrial development came to the Calumet region along Indiana's Lake Michigan shoreline in the late 19th cent. Marshy wastelands were drained and transformed into an area supporting a complex of factories and oil refineries. Indiana was an early leader in the production of automobiles. Before Detroit took control of the industry in the 1920s, Indiana boasted over 300 automobile companies. Although Indiana in the latter half of the 19th cent. was regarded as a “swing state” electorally, it has generally been conservative throughout the 1900s. Republican J. Danforth “Dan” Quayle, elected to the U.S. Senate in 1980 and 1986, was elected vice president of the United States in 1988. From the 1980s through the mid-1990s, the northern industrial portion of the state experienced a period of significant decline, along with the rest of the midwestern “rust belt.” However, the area around Indianapolis experienced significant growth with a diversified economy. Nashua Indiana is actually named for Nashua NH as well.
Industrial Park Drive - Industrial Park Drive is named for many of the industries in Nashua. It started with the Industrial revolution and continued. An enthusiastic bunch organizing the semi-centennial celebration marked the beginning of the 20th century. Records and recollections show city spirit enthusiastically displayed in both speeches and participation. There was a satisfaction in retrospect of the previous 50 years of Nashua progress. Some statistics from 1900 include the population at 23,898; The Nashua Trust Bank opening in the Masonic Temple Building; The Library having 20,000 books to borrow and a circulation of 62,000 per year. In 1902, Electric Railways linked Nashua to Salem and Nashua to Haverhill, Massachusetts. Tourists, citizens and businessmen rode the trolley across the old Taylors Falls Bridge fortified with iron and tracks. Canobie Lake Park opened in Salem providing Nashuans a pleasant retreat and a scenic tour to the park. The whole trip took about 60 minutes and was very popular. In 1903, the International Paper Box Machine Company began. In 1904 Nashua Corporation, previously known as Nashua Gummed and Coated Paper Company began. Both companies are still in business today with original revolutionary patents of interest such as the first box folding machine and the first bread-wrapping machine. The Nashua Street Railway expanded in 1907 connecting Hudson to Manchester. This new line created an all rail trip between Boston and Concord. An interesting note was you could make the 6 1/2 hour one-way trip for US$1.05. Three years later, the travel enthusiasts of Nashua would wane from the trolleys to their new love, the newly introduced automobile. Jackson Mills was established in 1828 on Canal Street and started production of 'Nashua Woolnap Blankets'. Nashua Manufacturing would purchase their property, franchises, and trademarks along with other mills in Massachusetts and Alabama, and extend trade agreements throughout the world including major routes in China and Africa. Healthcare reached a pinnacle point in 1908 when completion of Saint Joseph Hospital, the first large-scale facility opened and received its dedication. Supporters included Saint Louis De Gonzague Church that provided the land, along with donations from the Nashua Manufacturing Company and many other local contributors. Monsignor Jean-Baptist Henri Victor Milette, Pastor of Saint Louis, invited the Sisters of Charity, the Grey Nuns of Montreal, to administer the staff at the Hospital. There, they would also run what is still known as one of the best schools in nursing. In the next decade, they would expand the facility to include the medical advancement technologies of pathological laboratories and x-ray facilities. Today, you can see such industries as Skillsoft, Pell Engineering & Manufacturing, and other offices on Industrial Park Drive. Many of the office buildings that have sprung up show how much the name does relate.
Ingalls Street - Ingalls Street was named for Eleazer F. Ingalls. He was a blacksmith in the early 19th century. His shop was once in the vacant lot across from Simoneau Plaza. Eleazer Ingalls and his brother Daniel were prominent in the community. Daniel Ingalls served as representative to the General Court in 1811, 1815, and 1816. Henry T. Ingalls served in 1825 and 1826. Eleazer F. Ingalls served in 1826 and 1827. Israel Ingalls, a man from Dunstable, was also part of a July 1776 company for Canada to fight in the NH regiments during the American Revolution.
Ingham Road - Ingham Road was named for Ethel Blood Ingham, a music teacher who contributed to the traditions of Nashua. He was responsible for starting the Nashua Music School in 1897 on Olive Street. It later became the Gage Hotel.
Intervale Street - Intervale Street is named for New England, a tract of low-lying land, especially along a river. Intervale is among the distinctive New England terms mapped by Hans Kurath in the Linguistic Atlas of New England in the 1940s. However, by the time the Dictionary of American Regional English surveyed the New England states 20 years later, only three speakers in 72 New England communities used the word intervale to indicate a “tract of low-lying land, especially along a river.” The word was common in New England at one time because so many settlements were made along the rivers, where the land was more fertile and the towns were accessible by water. Indeed, the low-lying land near the river in Nashua, and the street itself is close in proximity to the Nashua River. Corn and vegetables were often grown on the Merrimack or Nashua River intervale.
Ipswich Circle - Ipswich Circle is actually derived from a borough of eastern England near the North Sea northeast of London. It was a commercial and pottery-making center from the 7th to the 12th century and was later (16th century) important in the woolen trade. Population - 130,600. There are places in the United States that are also named for it, including a town in Massachusetts and New Ipswich in New Hampshire. In Massachusetts, it is on the Ipswich River and Ipswich Bay; inc. 1634. Ipswich clams are found there. Tourism and the production of electronic and wood products are important. Crane's Beach, one of the country's most beautiful beaches, is in Ipswich. Of interest are the many well-preserved colonial and historic buildings; Choate Bridge, the first stone bridge in the United States (1764); and the John Whipple House (c.1640), with the Ipswich Historical Society collection. An air force radar experimental station is also there. Ipswich, England is a city (1991 pop. 129,661) and district, Suffolk, E England, on the Orwell estuary 12 mi (19 km) from its entry into the North Sea. Ipswich is the county seat of Suffolk. A market and port, it exports barley, malt, and fertilizers and imports coal, petroleum, phosphates, grain, and timber. Agricultural machinery and construction vehicles are the chief manufactures of Ipswich, which also has fertilizer, cigarette, malting, milling, brewing, printing, and textile industries. The area was a commercial center and pottery producer from the 7th to 12th cent. The city reached the peak of its significance in the woolen trade in the 16th cent. Its port declined with the decrease in wool trading but revived with new dock construction in the mid-19th cent. Vestiges of Roman habitation remain there. Ipswich was an important ecclesiastical center in the 16th cent. and retains 12 old churches and several 15th- and 16th-century houses. Christchurch mansion (1548, now in part an art gallery), the public school (14th cent.), and Sparrowe's House (1567) are noteworthy. Wolsey's Gate is the only remnant of the college founded in the early 16th cent. by Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, who was born in Ipswich. It is quite likely that early settlers of Nashua had family from the area.
Iris Court - Iris Court is named after another flower. Iris is the common name for members of the genus Iris of the Iridaceae, a family of perennial herbs that includes the crocuses, freesias, and gladioli. The family is characterized by thickened stem organs (bulbs, corms, and rhizomes) and by linear or sword-shaped leaves-small and grasslike in the crocuses and blue-eyed grasses. It is widely distributed over the world except in the coldest regions and is most abundant in South Africa and in tropical America. Almost all of the family's 90-odd genera include commercially valuable ornamentals. The iris family is closely related to the lily and amaryllis families, differing from them in having three stamens rather than six. The many species of wild iris are most common in temperate and subarctic regions of North America, where they are often called flags, or blue flags. Orrisroot, a violet-scented flavoring used in dentifrices, perfumes, and other products, is prepared from the powdered rhizomes of several European species of iris. One species, saffron, is cultivated commercially for a yellow dye made from the pollen. Other members of the family found in the United States are the blue-eyed grasses with small clusters of blue, white, or purplish flowers, ranging from Canada to Patagonia, and the celestial lily with pairs of blue flowers, ranging from the Kansas prairies to Tennessee and Texas.
Iris Path - Iris Path is named for plants with sword-shaped leaves and erect stalks bearing bright-colored flowers composed of three petals and three drooping sepals The iris has been used many times in litterature as well. “It was before him, served with almost incredible despatch - a small cobwebbed bottle and a glass of quaint shape, on which were beautifully emblazoned a coronet and fleur-de-lis.” (The Yellow Crayon by Oppenheim, E. Phillips).
Iroquois Road - The Iroquois Road is named for the Indians who lived the low lands in the 16th century in Southern Ontario and Quebec and in what is now New York State along the Street Lawrence River where they were known as the "Five Civilized Tribes". These tribes included the Cayuga, Mohawk, Oneida, Onondaga, and Seneca. The Iroquois village consisted of two or more longhouses. In the early years the longhouses were built near streams. Later they were built on hilltops for protection from invading tribes. Around the village, great wooden palisades with watchtowers were built. The village was moved every 10 to 15 years because crops no longer grew well. The Iroquois had an agricultural economy, based mainly on corn, with supplementary crops of pumpkins, beans, and tobacco and later of orchard fruits such as apples and peaches. The Iroquois, which include the Lakota, are working on a project for a Native American Township to preserve the culture. Indeed, Amecap Corporation is one example of a Nashua organization getting involved in this.
Ivy Lane - Ivy Lane is named for ivy, a name applied loosely to any trailing or climbing plant, particularly cultivated forms, but more popularly a designation for Hedera helix, the so-called English ivy, and some related species of the family Araliaceae (ginseng family). Native to Europe and temperate Asia, English ivy is a woody evergreen vine, usually sterile, whose berries contain the poisonous principle hederin. Grown in numerous varieties, it is the most popular house and wall vine. The Boston, or Japanese, ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidata, of Japan and China) and the American ivy, or Virginia creeper (P. quinquefolia, of North America), are similar species of the family Vitaceae (grape family). Both are sometimes called ampelopsis, a name usually reserved for another related genus. Kenilworth ivy, Cymbalaria muralis, of the family Scrophulariaceae (figwort family) is common to old ruins in Europe; it is often cultivated as a ground cover. Ivy was sacred to Bacchus and was associated with various pagan religions. It was formerly hung as a tavern sign in England. Ivy is classified in the division Magnoliophyta, class Magnoliopsida. The ginseng family ivies are in the order Umbellales, the grape family ivies in the order Rhamnales, and the figwort family ivies in the order Scrophulariales. It can sometimes be seen in Nashua.