P

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | Y | Z
Pacific Boulevard - Pacific Boulevard is named after the Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company. This company was located in Nashua on South Main Street in 1929. The Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company was a famous business located throughout New England. It was more like a general store in Nashua that sold a variety of different products. Products that could have been found in the Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company were sugar, Old Dutch Cleaner, and Quaker Oats. Thomas H. Drohan Sr owned this store.

Page Road - In the Spring of 1842, another company was added to Nashua’s militia to protect the village. The eleventh company, called the Washington Light Guards, was formed under the command of Daniel M. Fiske. It had 75 men in it and the company itself had its base in the attic of the town house in Nashua Company. The Guard lasted for eight years with Elijah T. Page as one of its notable officers.

Parkhurst Drive - Parkhurst Drive is named after the Parkhurst family, who lived in Nashua in the 1850s. The Parkhurst Family included Charles and Harriet, who were most likely husband and wife, Lucy, Charlie, Janette, Davius, Betty, Lydia, Sarah, and Paul. The family was originally from Vermont. Charles Sr. was a physician of the area, while his 17-year-old son, Charlie, was a machinist during the year of 1850.

Parnell Place - Parnell Place is named after Irving A. Parnell. Irving Parnell was a brakeman. As a brakeman, Mr. Parnell was in charge of keeping brakes up to shape in nearby railroads including the railroads at the Nashua City Station. Some of the rail lines that populated the station were the Nashua and Lowell Railroad, the Concord Railroad, Worcester and Nashua Railroad, Wilton Railroad, Nashua, Acton and Boston Railroad, Nashua and Rochester Railroad, Peterborough Railroad, and the Fitchburg Railroad which was subdivided by the Brookline and Pepperell Branch.

Parrish Hill Drive - Parrish Hill Drive is named for Frederick A. Parrish. Frederick Parrish was a farmer of Nashua in 1910. His farm was located on North Hollis Road. Presently in Nashua, North Hollis Road no longer exists. This could be an indicator that perhaps Parrish Hill Drive has now replaced it at the same location.

Pasadena Street - Pasadena Street is next to Sacramento Street, Kirk Street, Amherst Terrace, and Westfield Street all of which are American cities. Pasadena and Sacramento are in cities in California, while Kirk is in Colorado, Westfield is in Massachusetts, and Amherst is in New Hampshire as well as Massachusetts. Pasadena California is widely known for its research and technological centers. It is the home to the Tournament of Roses and the Rose Bowl that celebrates college football. The California Institute of Technology, home to Nasa’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, is located in Pasadena, California. Its symphony orchestra, community playhouse, libraries, museums, gardens, and the Mt. Wilson Observatory make Pasadena, California similar to Nashua in numerous ways.

Patten Court - Patten Court is named after Patten and Company. This company was also known as C.A. Patten and Company Merchant Tailors of Boston. One of these stores was located in Nashua during the early 1900s. Patten and Company sold fashionable clothing all over New England. In 1907, Patten and Company sold suits and overcoats from $25-$35. Patten Court could also be named after Chamberlain-Patten Company, a dry goods store located at 72 Pearl Street in Nashua. This store was partly owned by William H. Patten, who was born in Massachusetts in 1852.

Paxton Terrace - Paxton Terrace is named after the town of Paxton, Massachusetts. Located in Worcester County, Paxton has a population of around 5,000 people. Paxton was first settled in 1749 and was later founded in 1765. Paxton, Massachusetts is home to the Asnebumskit Pond, Anna Maria College, and Moore State Park. In Nashua, Paxton Terrace is located near other streets named after cities in Massachusetts such as Merrimack and Auburn.

Peach Drive/Court - Peach Drive/Court is one of the fruit streets. A peach tree is a low spreading, freely moving Chinese tree related to the rose tree. This tree grows in temperate zones and has pink flowers growing on it in early spring. The peach tree produces its famous fruit, which is white-yellow in color, with a single seed. One of the reasons why such a fruit may have been picked to be the name of a street in Nashua is because of its close appearance to the famous trees on Kinsley Street.

Penny Lane - Penny Lane is named after the Penny family. The head of the family was George S. Penny. His wife was Ethel M. Penny. On the same street, right next door, there was Charles S. Penny and his wife Lillian Penny. Perhaps these two families were related. Both Charles and George were born in Maine, and both worked as shoemakers, strengthening such a theory. Both Penny families lived on Bennett Street in Nashua in the 1930s.

Pepper Drive - Pepper Drive is named after the Pepper Tree. The Pepper Tree is a small evergreen tree with a rounded head and thin branches with clusters of green flowers surrounded by clusters of pink rose fruits. Pepper Drive is located next to other tree-like streets such as Royal Oak Drive and Birchwood Drive.

Pepperell Circle - Pepperell Circle is named after the city of Pepperell in Massachusetts. Stone fragments that were needed by the city of Nashua had always come from Concord or Milford before Shattuck Ledge, a stone seller in Nashua, was formed. Shattuck Lodge soon became a prosperous company, sending stone to Pepperell and other cities such as Worcester and Framingham. Up to 4,000 stone shipments per year were sent.

Percheron Circle - Percheron Circle is named after the Percheron horse. A Percheron horse is a draft horse that used to be used in France to pull artillery and heavy coaches. Now, the gray or black- colored horses are commonly bred all over the world. This horse is still used, however, for agricultural work. Percheron Circle in Nashua is located near Clydesdale Circle. The Clydesdale is another type of horse.

Perimeter Road - Construction began on the airport in 1934, and by 1939, the Nashua runway was officially considered safe for commercial use. In 1943, the Nashua Airport was named Boire Field Airport after Paul Boire, the first Nashua casualty in World War II.

Pershing Street - Pershing Street is named after John J. Pershing, commander of American armies located in Europe during World War I. General Pershing had a long career in the military. He went to West Point and graduated in 1882. He was also in the 10th U.S. Cavalry during the Spanish-American War in 1898. General Pershing was an American observer in Japan during the Russo-Japanese War from 1905 to 1906. Pershing is famous for his chase of Mexican general Pancho Villa, after his attack against New Mexico. In 1917, General Pershing was sent to command the American Expeditionary Force in France. With his return to the United States in 1919, General Pershing was awarded the title of General of the Armies, a title previously held solely by George Washington. After his retirement in 1924, Pershing also published a Pulitzer Price winning book called My Experiences in the World War. Pershing Street is located right next to Joffre Street, which is named for Joseph Jacques Cesaire, a French field marshal commanding Allied armies in France during World War I. Pershing Street is located near Liberty Street as well.

Peter Road - Peter Road is named after Peter Scontsas, who was known as “Mr. Nashua.” He was an active community member and gave advice on many community issues, such as the year-round lights on the trees downtown. Mr. Scontsas was the owner of Scontsas Jewelry on Main Street.Pagewood Oval- The name of Pagewood Oval has the same meaning as Page Road. By the 1920’s, it was noted that many streets names got the word “wood” added to them. This was to create a more suburban feel to the development and surrounding area.

Peterborough Place - Peterborough Place is named after the town of Peterborough, New Hampshire. Peterborough is a town of just over 5,000 people as of the year 2000. Located in the Peterborough area is the MacDowell Art Colony, which was founded in 1907 by composer Edward MacDowell. Also located in Peterborough is the Peterborough Folk Music Society. Peterborough Place is located near Mt. Vernon and Troy streets, other cities located in New Hampshire.

Pewter Court - Pewter Court is named after the material called pewter. Pewter is a silver-white colored alloy made up mostly of tin. In colonial America, pewter was imported in large amounts from England. Later in the 18th century, Americans began to make vast quantities of pewter and used the material to make up eating utensils as well as bowls and plates. Many farms in Nashua were famous for their elaborate collections of pewter dishware.

Pheasant Lane/Pheasant Run Road - Pheasant Lane is one of the bird streets. The pheasant is famous for being a popular bird for gaming. It is also known as an “Old World” bird. The most popular of the pheasants in North America is the native ring-necked pheasant. This pheasant is commonly known to have a long tail. Male pheasants usually have very brightly colored plumage.

Piermont Street - Piermont Street was named after Piermont, NH, founded in 1764. It is located near other city streets, such as Hyannis, Pelham, Tilton, Natick, and Richmond. Located in Grafton County, NH, Piermont had 709 people as of the year 2000. Piermont, NH is named after Piedmont, located in the Italian Alps. Piermont is the home of Colonel William Tarleton, who was a soldier in the American Revolution, part of the Constitutional Convention in 1791, and member of the Electoral College in 1804. Lake Tarleton in Piermont is named after him.

Pine Hill Avenue/ Pine Grove Avenue/ Pinecrest Road/Pinedale Street/Pinehaven Dr./Pinebrook Drive/Pinehurst /Avenue - Pine Hill Avenue is named for the abundant native pine trees that Nashua had in the past and still has today. Nashua was famous for its ubiquitous pine trees, especially near the area that is now downtown. A number of front yards on Pine Hill Avenue, still have remnants of the vast amounts of pine trees that once stood in the area. It is very likely that Pine Grove Avenue, Pinecrest Road, Pinedale Street, and Pinehaven Drive all were named as a tribute to the pine trees famously located in Nashua in the past. Pinebrook Drive is also located near Tall Pine Circle, further proof that pine trees were everywhere in Nashua.

Pheasant Lane - Pheasant Lane is one of the bird streets. The pheasant is famous for being a popular bird for gaming. It is also known as an “Old World” bird. The most popular of the pheasants in North America is the native ring-necked pheasant. This pheasant is commonly known to have a long tail. Male pheasants usually have very brightly colored plumage.

Philbrick Street - The Granite Lodge, a Masonic lodge, was established on September 11, 1843 and chartered on September 16, 1864. David Philbrick was the first noble grand of the lodge, which had over 1,000 members. The lodge’s numerous locations were in the old Exchange Building, in Noyes Blocks, in the Telegraph building, and in the Goodrich Building.

Pilgrim Drive - Pilgrim Drive is named after Pilgrim Church. On June 24, 1826, “The First Congregational Society of Nashua Village” was formed. With a budget of $6,000, the society purchased the Old South Meeting-House and later bought a meeting house built by the Nashua Manufacturing Company, which became the location of Pilgrim Church. Pilgrim Church was located near Central Station at the corner of Temple, Court, and Church Streets. This church, located on the crest of Temple Street, was the location of the famous picture of Nashua Civil War soldiers. Now, One Indian Head Plaza is located where the Pilgrim Church once stood.

Pioneer Drive - Peter Powers, founder of Hollis in the early 1700’s, became the inspiration for the name of Pioneer Drive. He was part of an Indian-fighting scouting team. Powers was an active real estate agent who sold land all over southern New Hampshire. He is known as one of the first to move into the uninhabited forest lands around Dunstable. In 1930, as a 200 year anniversary of his settling in the Dunstable area, his biography entitled Peter Powers, Pioneer, was written.

Pittsburg Street
- Pittsburg Avenue is named after the city in Pennsylvania named Pittsburg. There is a Nashua connection, however. Alfred E. Hunt, Captain of the Nashua City Guards, was a chemist at the Nashua Iron and Steel Company. Hunt went to the School of Technology in Boston and was an officer in the military battalion there. He was a notable and successful Nashua resident who later moved to Pittsburg, Pennsylvania where he became a prominent, well known businessman.

Plum Street - Plum Street, one of the fruit streets in Nashua is named after plums. Plums are grown on trees usually in temperate zones. Cultivated since prehistoric time, there are over 100 species of plum in the world, with 30 species native to North America. Plums were widely eaten by Native Americans and colonists alike. The beach plum is often used today in jams and jellies and is usually grown on Cape Cod. With their red, purple, white, pink, and lilac colors, plum trees are desired as a decorative piece in the United States. Plums are related to almonds, apricots, and cherries.

Pluto Street - Pluto Street is one of the planet streets located in the vicinity of Neptune, Saturn, Mercury, and Venus Lane in Nashua. Pluto, the ninth planet from the sun, has the largest complete orbit length of about 248 years and is a total of 3.67 billion miles from the sun. Pluto’s surface is mostly made up of frozen nitrogen, with a rocky silicate core. The atmosphere of Pluto is made up of nitrogen, carbon monoxide, and methane gases. The temperature on Pluto is -360 degrees Fahrenheit, the point at which most gases freeze. Information about Pluto was first published in 1914 and the characteristics of the planet are still unclear today because of its great distance from Earth.

Poliquin Drive - Poliquin Drive is named after the Poliquin family. The family included Pierre, Leontine, Stella, Helen, Reta, Leoneal, Lucella, Romano, Rose, and Lillian. The family lived on 8 Markar Street and was one of the families who did not live on a farm. The Poliquin family lived in Nashua during the 1930s, and the heads of the family, Pierre, and Leontine, were from Canada. All of their children, however, were born in New Hampshire. According to the 1930 US Federal Census, the Poliquin family was one of the few to own a radio in Nashua.

Ponderosa - Ponderosa is a type of pine tree. The ponderosa pine is a tall timber tree that is usually located in Western North America. The ponderosa pine has long, dark green needles that are often clustered together in groups of three.

Pondview Circle - Pondview Circle is roughly 600 feet from the bank of Pennichuck Brook. Early developers must have named the street because it is an excellent vantage point of the water. Pennichuck Brook is used in Nashua as a part of the drinking water supply. According to the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services, the water yield of Pennichuck Brook has, over the past 100 years, declined nearly 75%. This water has been lost due to an impervious bottom that does not allow water to seep into the ground but rather permits it to flow into other lakes and ponds. The Pennichuck Brook is a part of the Pennichuck Brook Watershed.

Prospect Street - Prospect Street, one of the earliest roads in Nashua, was the location of many factories and mills. It is located near Bowers off the Daniel Webster Highway.