Building Sewers Need Maintenance

Just like your roof, siding, windows and large appliances, your building sewers require maintenance.  Know the age of your property because that is likely the age of your building sewer.  Stop the backup before it happens. If you have slow moving water after a flush, maintenance of your building sewer may be needed.  Call a plumber that specializes in maintaining building sewers.   

Deteriorated pipe material and structure failure

The first sewers in Nashua were constructed about 1870 and were connected to houses built around that time or even earlier.  In most cases, the building sewer pipe is as old as the building.   Sewer pipes collapse due to shifting soil, settling, or changes on the ground above. Deterioration of the material of an older pipe can cause the pipe to crack, break or collapse. 

Building sewers were first constructed of clay or unreinforced concrete. Starting about the 1940s, new pipe materials known as Bermico, transite, and asbestos cement began being introduced for building sewers. These materials have been known to deteriorate faster than other pipe materials like clay or reinforced concrete.  Since about 1980, building sewers have been generally constructed of a type of plastic pipe known as PVC.  Knowing the age of your property and pipe material can assist in making a decision about repairing or replacing the building sewer.

Deteriorated pipe or pipe that is shown to have collapsed may need to be repaired or replaced.

How to avoid building sewer backups?  

Taking these simple steps can help keep the flow going, and prevent costly overflows and damage. 

  • Remove vegetation near your building sewer. 
  • Do not flush any paper like product down your toilet other than toilet paper.
  • Gather fats, oils and grease in a container to be thrown away.  Do not put down the drain.

Where can I find information on the location of my building sewer?

 For most properties, the Engineering Department has information on the location of where the building sewer crosses the property line and connects to the public sewer main.  There may not be information for the oldest properties in the City or at locations where the City was not notified of changes to the building.  Call or email Engineering to obtain this information.