The City of Nashua has adopted an exemption for the disabled. Any person who is eligible under Title II or Title XVI of the federal Social Security Act for benefits to the disabled can receive a yearly exemption, if qualified. In the City of Nashua, the exemption is $194,000.
Filing deadline is April 15, 2021. Applications are accepted after January 1, 2021.
An Income and Asset Statement, covering the full calendar year preceding April 1st, must be completed and documentation submitted to the Assessor’s Office.
A permanent record card must be signed in person at the Assessor’s Office.
Summary of 2021 Disabled Exemption Eligibility Requirements
- Must be the owner of record on or before April 1, 2021.
- Must reside in the State of New Hampshire for 5 consecutive years on or before April 1, 2021.
- If real estate is owned by a spouse, they must have been married for 5 consecutive years on or before April 1, 2021.
- Must occupy the property as their principal place of abode to qualifying for the exemption.
- Must be under the age of 65 on April 1, 2021. (Social Security disability benefits convert to retirement benefits at age 65. Taxpayer may apply for the elderly exemption.)
Income qualifications will include any net income (not adjusted) from all sources in the calendar year preceding April 1st.
- Single person income not to exceed $50,000
- Married persons joint income not to exceed $50,000
Asset qualifications will include any assets as of the date of the application
- Assets not to exceed $150,000 (excluding the home they reside in)
- Any other real estate owned anywhere (individually, jointly, in common, fractional etc.) including land, mobile homes, condos, timeshares, etc.
- Checking and/or savings account balances
- CD’s, IRA’s, mutual funds, stocks, bonds, annuities, etc.
- Any and all vehicles registered in your name including motor vehicles, cars, trucks, RV's, trailers, etc
The following documents are needed to verify eligibility include but are not limited to:
- Property Tax Inventory Forms filed in any other town
- Proof of eligibility under Title II or Title XVI of the Federal Social Security Act for benefits to the disabled
- Federal income tax form including all 1099 forms
- State interest and dividends tax forms
- Statements for checking and/or savings accounts
- Statements for CD, IRA, 401K, stocks and/or bonds, cash value of life insurance policies, money market, etc.
- Statement of VA benefits
- Drivers license or birth certificate
- Documentation of any fuel, electric or financial assistance received
Exemption is $194,000.
Applications will be available from 12/26/2020 through 4/15/2021.