The City of Nashua has adopted an exemption for the disabled. Any person who is eligible under Title II or Title XVI of the federal Social Security Act for benefits to the disabled can receive a yearly exemption, if qualified.
In the City of Nashua, the exemption is $194,000.
Filing deadline is April 15. Applications are accepted after January 1.
An Income and Asset Statement, covering the full calendar year preceding April 1st, must be completed and documentation submitted to the Assessor’s Office.
A permanent record card must be signed in person at the Assessor’s Office.
Summary of Disabled Exemption Eligibility Requirements
- Must be the owner of record on or before April 1.
- Must reside in the State of New Hampshire for 5 consecutive years on or before April 1.
- If real estate is owned by a spouse, they must have been married for 5 consecutive years on or before April 1.
- Must occupy the property as their principal place of abode to qualifying for the exemption.
- Must be under the age of 65 on April 1. (Social Security disability benefits convert to retirement benefits at age 65. Taxpayer may apply for the elderly exemption.)
Income qualifications will include any net income (not adjusted) from all sources in the calendar year preceding April 1st.
- Single person income not to exceed $50,000
- Married persons joint income not to exceed $50,000
Asset qualifications will include any assets as of the date of the application
- Assets not to exceed $150,000 (excluding the home they reside in)
- Any other real estate owned anywhere (individually, jointly, in common, fractional etc.) including land, mobile homes, condos, timeshares, etc.
- Checking and/or savings account balances
- CD’s, IRA’s, mutual funds, stocks, bonds, annuities, etc.
- Any and all vehicles registered in your name including motor vehicles, cars, trucks, RV's, trailers, etc
Application and required paperwork must be submitted and completed on or before April 15th.
- Trust document(s) – if applicable
- Birth certificate(s)
- Marriage Certificate and/or divorce decree
- Latest statements of ALL bank account(s) (cd, stock & bonds, checking, 401’s, etc.) – from the previous January till present date (full statements)
- Life insurance policy(ies) & lastest statement showing “allowed amount to borrow and/or cash surrender value”
- Car registration(s) – if you own any type of vehicle but do not register it, please bring in papers showing year/make/model
- 1040 & full backup (w2’s, Social Security Statement & Pension Statement, 1099’s, etc.)
- Any other property or time share (current tax bill with assessment from Town/County) – if applicable
- Reverse mortgage closing papers and statements - the previous January till present – if applicable
- Equity Line-of-Credit closing papers and statements - the previous January till present – if applicable
If you have questions concerning what paperwork is required, please contact our office.
- You might need the free Acrobat Reader to view or print these PDF forms.
- Download, print, fill-out/complete the forms, sign and date the forms.
- Submit the forms with required documents listed above to the City of Nashua Assessing Office.