Birth Certificates

Any birth record from the year 1935 until present (excluding the years of 1949 and 1950) are available at any city or town clerk's office in the State of New Hampshire.  If you were born in 1949, 1950 or prior to 1935, you will need to obtain your birth certificate from the city or town clerk in the community where the birth occurred or from the NH Bureau of Vital Records in Concord. Copies of birth records for persons born in Nashua are available from the City Clerk at 229 Main Street. The Bureau of Vital Records in Concord is located at 9 Ratification Way.

Not Born in New Hampshire?
Regulations covering the retention and issuance of birth records vary from state-to-state. If you weren't born in New Hampshire and need to know whom to contact for your record, visit the National Center for Health Statistics' page on “Where to Write for Vital Records.” The document provides information for every state and U.S. territory.

Old records are considered public records and are not subject to privacy requirements. Old records include: birth records prior to 1918; death records prior to 1968; marriage records prior to 1968.  All other records are considered private and confidential, with access limited to those individuals who have a "direct and tangible” interest in the record.

Copies of birth records may only be obtained by the registrant, a member of his immediate family, guardian, or representatives with “a direct and tangible interest” such as an attorney, physician, funeral director, or other authorized agent acting in behalf of the registrant or his family. In order to determine if the “legal representative” may have access to the record, the direct and tangible interest must be presented in a letter, on the requester's letterhead, clearly stating the registrant's full name, date of birth, place of birth, father's name and mother's maiden name, the reason why the record is being requested and needs to be signed by the attorney or physician.  The individual signing the letter shall submit a photocopy of their government issue id.  If the requester is allowing another individual to pick-up the record on their behalf, that individual's name must appear in the letter and they will be required to show their government issued id in our office in order for us to issue them the record.

Any person shall be guilty of a Class B Felony if he/she willfully and knowingly makes any false statement in an application for a certified copy of a vital record. (NH RSA 5-C:14).

Effective September 7, 1999, the issuance of complimentary copies of birth or marriage certificates ended. Effective July 1, 2010, the fees for certified copies are $15 for the first copy and $10 for each additional copy requested at the same time. The $15 state search fee is established by NH RSA 5-C:10. It includes a certified copy if found, a “no records” statement if not.

Applying For a Copy Of a Birth Certificate in Person or By Mail
A signed application (available here) (PDF) must be presented in person or by mail. Payment must accompany the request. A mail request should be sent to: City Clerk, 229 Main Street, Nashua, NH 03060. Effective January 1, 2005, all individuals requesting a certified copy of a vital record (birth, marriage, or death record, pursuant to RSA 5:C-16) must present positive identification including, but not limited to, a driver's license, passport or other picture identification or, in the absence of acceptable picture identification, shall complete the form "Documentation Evidence for Individuals not Possessing an Acceptable Picture Identification.” If ordering by mail, you must include the request form as well as a photocopy of your identification or the form, “Documentation Evidence for Individuals not Possessing an Acceptable Picture Identification (PDF)” along with photocopies of the supporting documentation required with that form. Mail-in orders without positive identification will be returned without having been processed.

Applying for a Copy of a Birth Certificate By Telephone, Fax or Online
The Nashua City Clerk's Office accepts cash, check or credit cards (a convenience fee will apply for credit card transactions). The office cannot accept payment for requests submitted by email, fax, or telephone. However, the City Clerk's Office can accommodate online orders for certified copies of vital records, for events that occurred in Nashua, using VitalChek, an independent company that it has partnered with to provide you this service. Go to the VitalChek online resource. Additionally, VitalChek can provide expedited service for speedy receipt of your certificate. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using their services, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express, Discover, MasterCard or Visa. For further information -- or if you have questions after placing your order -- contact the Nashua City Clerk's Office at 603-589-3010, Option 5.

Wallet-Sized Certificates Discontinued
Wallet-sized birth certificates were discontinued as of October 1, 2008. If you currently have a wallet-size birth certificate you may find that some state and federal agencies will not accept them and you will need to obtain a full size birth certificate. We cannot guarantee the wallet-size birth certificate for travel outside of New Hampshire, but you may be able to use them for sports and school registration.