Transferring Plates

Using Same Plates
Come in to our office with your current original registration for your old car and the necessary documents for your newly purchased vehicle.

Vehicle 15 Years or Older
If the newly purchased vehicle is 15 years or older, you will need a bill of sale and one of the following:
  • Completed and signed verification of Vehicle Identification Number Form 19A (PDF).
  • Former owner’s permanent New Hampshire registration
  • Valid out-of-state (not New Hampshire) title
Vehicle Less Than 15 Years Old
If the newly purchased vehicle is under 15 years, you will need one of the following:
  • Original Certificate of Origin
  • Title signed over to you
  • Town Clerk copy of the title application obtained from a New Hampshire dealer or lien holder (either party can be present)
When 2 Names Are on the Title
If the Certificate of Origin or the title is in 2 names, both parties must be present to register and apply for a New Hampshire title. If either party is unable to be present,  they would acquire a notarized Power of Attorney for the person coming in to complete the process in their absence.