The Division of Public Works, Solid Waste Department provides a weekly curbside pick-up of trash and seasonal soft yard waste for most residences in Nashua. Recyclables are collected year-round on a biweekly basis, on the same day as trash pick-up.
Special collection of oversize bulky items, metal items including appliances, and tires (off rims) are also picked up on an appointment basis from residences that receive trash collection service from mid-Spring until the end of October.
The appointment must be made one week in advance and by calling the Solid Waste Department during regular business hours. All calls must be received by Friday at noon in order for the items to be picked up the following week. For more information, call 603-589-3410.
2023 Holiday Schedule
Collections will be postponed by 1 day on the following holidays:
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - Monday, January 16
- Presidents' Day – Monday, February 20
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 29
- Independence Day - Tuesday, July 4
- Labor Day – Monday, September 4
- Indigenous People's Day – Monday, October 9
- Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, November 23
- Christmas Day - Monday, December 25
For example: If a holiday occurs on a Monday, that day’s trash routes will be picked up on Tuesday, Tuesday’s trash on Wednesday, and so forth. The Four Hills Landfill and the Nashua Recycling Center will also be closed on these holidays.
Note: Weather emergencies may also delay or postpone collection. For updates check:
- Channel 16
- Facebook - Nashua DPW
- Twitter - @nashuadpw
- Nashuanh.gov - main page under Alerts & Notices and News Flash on the Solid Waste home page
- Cart covers must be fully closed. Carts with lids lifted due to overflow will not be picked up. All extra bags of trash from move-ins, celebrations, Spring/Fall cleaning, or move-outs must be brought to the Four Hills landfill under a $5.00 landfill sticker. (Exception: Christmas)
- Please place no earlier than 24 hours before collection day, and by 6:45 am on the scheduled collection day. Carts must be removed from the curb by the end of the collection day.
- Late set-outs will not be picked up.
- Carts must be placed at the edge of the road, within 2 feet of the curb.
- Separate the cart from obstacles - mailbox, fence, utility poles, other carts and recycling bins - by at least 3 feet.
- Place cart at least 10 feet away from a parked car.
- The cart handle must face the house.
- Keep cart away from low-hanging branches or wires.
- Carts blocked by vehicles or other obstructions may not be picked up.
- During winter, please clear a space at the road for carts and recycling bins, and please remove any snow or ice that gets into your carts or bins.
- Please do not put containers on top of or behind snow banks.